Andrew is an Environmental and Resource Management Law specialist with over 14 years’ experience. Andrew has previously worked at two of New Zealand’s major law firms and has also spent considerable time working in-house for major corporations, councils and professional services firms, giving him a unique understanding of the day to day challenges faced by many of our clients. In addition to his Resource Management specialty, Andrew specialises in Alcohol Licensing, Local Government Law and Public Works Act acquisition and valuation litigation.
“The boutique business model places the firm in a position to connect directly with clients as well as being a bolt-on addition for other law firms, which is an exciting place to be.
I love getting to know our clients and understand their business drivers and goals. That knowledge enables me to find creative, practical solutions to the challenges they face. Success is often multi-faceted and I strive to deliver exceptional results across the board"
Andrew regularly appears as lead counsel at hearings before councils, district licensing committees, the Environment Court, and the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (“ARLA”). In addition to being skilled at resolving contentious applications without the need for a hearing, Andrew has an excellent track record in obtaining consent and licences for contentious applications. Examples of Andrew’s successes in contentious applications include: retail development in Bureta Park, Spotswood, Vogeltown, Albany and Mt Eden; residential developments in Auckland, Albany, Clevedon and Tauranga; along with significant commercial and residential plan changes in Auckland and Tauranga. Andrew has also been successfully involved in a number of leading High Court and Court of Appeal cases such as Rodney District Council v Eyres Ecopark and Frasers Papamoa v Tauranga City Council.
Andrew advises on all aspects of the new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act and has successfully appeared before ARLA in leading cases on local alcohol policies and single alcohol areas.
Andrew’s particular areas of expertise are:
- Retail and residential development
- Plan changes to urbanise rural land
- Natural Resource Development – cleanfills, landfills and contaminated land issues
- Public infrastructure: roads, water takes, wastewater discharges and stormwater discharges
- Environmental due diligence
- Alcohol Licensing
- Development Contributions
- Public Works Act – acquisition and valuation
- RMA and Building Act enforcement
- Local Government Act issues
- Bachelor of Law, University of Auckland
- Bachelor of Science, University of Auckland
- Berry Simons 2013 – current
- Buddle Findlay 2007 – 2013
- Kensington Swan, Auckland 2003 – 2007
- Opus International Consultants, Wellington 2001 – 2003
Phone: 09 909 7310
Our People / Andrew Braggins
YALE SUSTAINABLITY LEADERSHIP FORUM
Thu Oct. 18th 2018
In October 2018 Sue Simons had the opportunity to attend a Sustainability Leadership Forum at the Yale Campus in New Haven, Connecticut.
Orewa Retirement Resort Victory
Fri April 27th 2018
Consent has been successfully obtained for a new "coastal resort" retirement village development in Orewa following a hearing in March.